A handbook meant to support informal carers, adult educators, and professionals working in cultural heritage on how to work with people with dementia using the BooM tools
The BooM project aims at enhancing the availability of reminiscence-based, digital, informal adult education interventions for elderly people. BooM is doing that by working closely with museums and archives as particularly suitable environments where implementing such interventions and, as memory institutions, have the appropriate material at their disposal.
The methodology handbook composes the first Intellectual Output (IO) of the project. It is the result of the first research phase the partnership carried out during the initial months of BooM activities.
The e-book will contribute to spreading awareness about how to make cultural sites accessible to people with dementia, as well as how to strengthen the family caregivers’ and educators’ skills in treating dementia.
The handbook is available in English, Croatian, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, and Swedish here: https://boxofourmemories.eu/documents/.
It comprises the following contents:
- A literature review on reminiscence-based practices with a specific focus on archives and museums.
- Pan-European innovative examples of memory practices in archives and museums.
- Didactical notes on how this methodological framework can be used by adult educators in care homes, the social sector, archives, museums, and galleries.
- Didactical notes on how the project outputs can be used in informal adult education with carers, families, and those with memory loss.
- Insights on the later project outputs related to the design of the BooM toolkit and the BooM app.
- Key terms of references to ensure common ground and understanding.
On October 6th and 7th, after several online meetings, BooM’s partners finally met face-to-face in Dornbirn (Austria). The meeting was an opportunity to plan upcoming project activities, in particular the first step toward the second IO2: the Continuous Professional Development (CPD) course curriculum for adult educators. The partnership is now working closely with their LWGs to identify the precise training needs to be addressed in the course.